Cooking Around the World Showcase - Cheddar Cheese Soup from Canada Pavillon
Over the last few months of social distancing, I have learned that cooking and recreating recipes is one of my family’s favorite pastimes. At four and a half years old, my son gets a huge kick out of having some autonomy in the kitchen. He can measure ingredients, chop the veggies (with help from mommy of course), and always is ready to stir! Since we have not been able to physically visit the theme parks over the last few months, we do our best to bring the tastes of the parks to us.
Cheddar Cheese Soup
For the second entry of our Cooking Around the World Showcase blog series, we decided to make the delicious Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup from Le Cellier, one of our favorite signature dining restaurants located at the Canada pavilion within Epcot’s World Showcase.
If you have ever had the opportunity of dining at Le Cellier, you know how special this location is. Known as one of the top steakhouse restaurants on Walt Disney World property, reservations for both lunch and dinner book up extremely quickly. It’s a great location for a celebratory occasion, or a romantic dinner for two.
Disney recently released the recipe for their famous Cheddar Cheese Soup on the Disney Magic Moments blog.
I have added the ingredients as well as the directions to the recipe below:
- 1/2 pound of bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pound white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Coarse salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup warm Canadian golden lager or any pale lager-style beer
- Chopped scallions or chives, for garnish
1. In a 4- or 5-quart Dutch oven, cook bacon, stirring, over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
2. Add red onion, celery, and butter and sauté until onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes over medium heat. Whisk in chicken stock and bring to boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after milk is added.
5. Remove from heat and add cheese, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Blend with immersion blender until cheese is melted and soup is smooth. Stir in warm beer. If the soup is too thick, thin with some warm milk.
6. Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped scallions or chives.
I made a few adjustments to the recipe as I didn’t have all of the ingredients listed on the website. I used Cholula hot sauce instead of Tabasco, skim milk instead of whole milk and mild yellow cheddar cheese instead of white cheddar. One of the best parts of cooking is that you can make small adjustments to recipes based on what you have in your own fridge or pantry, and still come out with a delicious dish at the end!
I do not own an immersion blender, so we used a regular blender in two separate batches, which took a little extra time, but worked great!
The very last part of the recipe calls for 1/2 cup of pale lager style beer to be mixed in. Since this is the very last thing to be added, and doesn’t cook off with everything else, you can certainly notice the beer taste.
I happened to really enjoy it, however, my husband did not. Feel free to leave the beer out if you prefer, or perhaps add a little less than what the recipe calls for, as it will not make or break the end results
This recipe certainly will feed 10 as advertised (my family of 4 will have plenty of leftovers).
It isn’t as heavy of a soup as I expected it to be, so it is a great addition to a lunch or dinner, but can also stand as a meal on its own. I did not have the garnishes on hand, but the addition of scallions would have been the perfect finishing touch.
Most importantly, It was a hit with my four year old. With his stamp of approval, we will certainly be making Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup again!
Follow us to social media so you don’t miss out on the next delicious Disney recipe!
Hi everyone! My name is Kara and I am so excited to help you plan a magical Disney vacation. My love of Disney started during my very first trip there in March of 1994. Disney quickly became my family’s “happy place”. There was never any question, when it was time for a vacation, we packed our bags and headed to the most magical place on Earth. Nowadays, it is extra special for me to experience the Disney magic again through the eyes of my 4 year old son, Liam, and 2 year old daughter, Jennie. Seeing their eyes light up when Mickey and Minnie pass by and seeing their faces all sticky from Mickey ice cream bars make special memories that only Disney can bring. I can’t wait to help you build those memories together as a family!
The next stop on my culinary adventures around the World Showcase is Japan. I am not going to lie, this one made me nervous. Would I have the right...
The Janci Family Nothing makes us happier than to hear that our services helped to create a seamless, stress-free experience. Over the last year we...
Next stop - The Morocco Pavilion! Located within the World Showcase at Epcot, this pavilion can be easy to overlook. There is no giant landmark that...